Monday, November 15, 2010

TWD: Cranberry-Lime Galette

For many of us, the capital-H Holidays are approaching, and I don't know about you, but I feel like I've already been run over by a festive seasonal truck and it's barely mid-November. The last few months I've felt like Wile E. Coyote frantically churning my legs in midair, trying to run across the sky without looking down. All of which is to say, I'm sorry I haven't been reading and commenting much on blogs. Or blogging here, for that matter. Or showering as often as I should. (I guess that last one mostly applies to the husband. Love youuuuu.)

The hectic pace recently has made me grateful for simplicity wherever I can find it, like in this week's Cranberry-Lime Galette:

Galettes, or as I like to call them, "pies for lazy people," are a genius invention. Pie dough is piled high with filling, then the edges are folded over and the whole thing is baked on a cookie sheet. No tearing of misshapen top crusts, no crimping of edges, and no trying to wiggle perfect slices out of a reluctant pie tin. It's just fill, fold, bake, and devour. Near-instant gratification.

The filling in this case was a seasonal blend of fresh cranberries, dried cranberries, and apples, plus a surprise sneak attack from lime zest, lime juice, and fresh ginger. I cut down the amount of fresh ginger and it still shone through beautifully. This galette contained a lot of strong flavors, but they all worked surprisingly well together.

I continued my love affair with spiced whipped cream and made another batch flavored with vanilla and cinnamon to top this galette. I think cream--or possibly ice cream--is definitely necessary to mellow the tart flavors and balance everything out. So you have my permission--nay, my orders--to eat this with gobs of whipped cream. It's necessary! And oh so delicious.

You guys, I don't want to freak you out, but Thanksgiving is next week. When did this happen, and what are we going to do about it?? Have you all started planning your menus? Forget all the turkey junk, what are you making for dessert? I'm thinking the Cranberry Shortbread Cake is going to have to make another appearance.

12 comments:

  1. Ok, I don't remember ginger being an ingredient, so I for sure forgot that. But to cut the sweetness, I added chopped chocolate to the mix. It's really good. I made two smaller ones instead of the whole thing.
    AND, cream/ice cream does sound like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, why didn't I think about some ice cream or whipped cream? That sounds wonderful.

    Your galette looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like pies for lazy people. Yours look great! I have no idea what I am making for Thanksgiving dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that, pies for lazy people! I made the Cranberry Shortbread Cake again today for my quilt group. It met with rave reviews, so it will definitely become a staple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, yes and yes to being busy. This fall has flown by. Love the order for whipped cream. I wish we had served our tart with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Yes Ice Cream!! I so wished I had some when it came out of the oven.

    Looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job. I'm all for whipped cream. And ice cream...

    ReplyDelete
  8. cranberry shortbread cake will DEF be on my thanksgiving table this year!! no doubt. i wish i had some right now *walks to kitchen*

    your galette looks HUGE and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:00 PM

    Spiced whipped cream sounds like it would be great with this! I'm not making dessert for Thanksgiving and that makes me very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh that galette looks delicious with the ice cream! You're right, galettes are totally pies for lazy people i.e me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. When it comes to cooking, I’m having second thoughts, it’s just that I am not so good at it; I really don’t have the magic to make such tasty food. Good for you and by the way, I have to agree with Avanika, that galette looks tasty with the ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sure my daughter will love this. Anyway, thank you for sharing this recipe. Right now, I am thinking on cooking this one on weekend.

    ReplyDelete