Thursday, May 13, 2010

Strawberry Babycake

Believe it or not, my brother's wedding cake wasn't the only cake I made last weekend. My other brother Ian has a (completely adorable) daughter who was turning one around the time we were all together for the wedding, so we decided to have a little party and celebrate her. Meet Madeline:

What did I tell you? Completely adorable.

My sister-in-law Amy & I made the cake together, which was a blast. I always feel a little weird "teaching" friends and family in the kitchen, but she endured my ramblings with good humor, and the baby cake turned out pretty darn cute.

We made the teensiest, tiniest layer cake for Madeline: a 6-inch round and a 3-inch round. It was a strawberry cake with a strawberry buttercream, filled with fresh strawberries between the layers. I wish I had a picture of the inside, because it was beautiful: all pink!


It was topped with a ring of fondant rosebuds and a single candle.


Happy birthday, Madeline! What do you think of your cake?
OH REALLY. Well, we'll just eat it for you, then.

Fortunately, we'd also made cupcakes to go along with it, and she seemed to enjoy eating playing with that a lot more.

I think the next post needs to be cake- and family picture-free. Which will be easy, since it's soon time for Tuesdays with Dorie and it's MY PICK NEXT WEEK. Have you made your apple bread pudding yet?! Making mine tomorrow...can't wait!

4 comments:

  1. Definitely adorable.
    Cute cake.
    I made the bread pudding. I was really looking forward to it.
    I flubbed it up big time. Halved the recipe. But thought I'd lighten it up. So for the 3 eggs/5 yolks half recipe, I just used 3 whole eggs.
    Which turned to some nasty scrambled egg white goop underneath the yummy bread/apple layer.
    Sigh.
    I'm going to try again.
    In my despair, I made some chocolate pudding cake. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, that is such an adorably cute post! I don't mind family and cake filled posts, they're fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:46 AM

    So cute! I would be really happy if someone made me that birthday cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She IS adorable! And that's a pretty special one year birthday cake!

    I just finished making the brioche for the bread pudding and figure the rest has to be a breeze, yes?

    ReplyDelete