Tuesday, February 10, 2009

TWD Rewind: Quintuple Chocolate Brownies

Presenting this week's TWD recipe, Floating Islands:
Okay, just kidding. I skipped the floating islands, because I am all alone in the house this week and wanted to make a dessert I could easily share with other people. For some reason the idea of transporting creme anglaise, poached meringues, and decorative spun sugar strands into work wasn't too appealing. So, as is often the case when confronted with a problem, I turned to chocolate. Specifically, Dorie's Quintuple Chocolate Brownies.

These brownies have five, count them, five, kinds of chocolate in one recipe! The unsweetened and semi-sweet are melted into the batter, which also contains cocoa powder. The milk chocolate stays in chip form (and brings along some toasted pecan friends to add more texture) and the white chocolate is made into a ganache topping.

The white chocolate glaze seemed a little skimpy in spots, but I was worried that doubling it would add too much sweetness. So I made some semi-sweet ganache and added it on top. Once the brownies were set and cut, they seemed really playful and almost had a pop-art vibe to them. So, I decided to give them some cute outfits to go along with their look. (Why yes, I did recently go to Ikea, why do you ask?)
In addition to being lookers, the brownies tasted fabulous. The texture was pretty fudgy (just the way I like them!) but the milk chocolate chips and the pecans kept them from seeming too cloying or rich. If you're a cakey brownie person this isn't the recipe for you, but if you're a "more is more" chocolate addict, you need to welcome quintuple chocolate brownies into your life.

24 comments:

  1. Yummy those brownies look so good!
    I skipped this weeks floating islands as well so dont feel bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried these yet! I am glad you posted them! They look amazing! I love the design you went with! You are beyond talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these for a rewind back in the summer, only I managed to add a sixth chocolate. Yours are picture perfect. I'm going to IKEA today and am going to try to resist the tableware temptations!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a more is more chocolate person! These look gorgeous! I know that mine won't look nearly as good as yours, but I still might try to make them for teacher Valentine's gifts later this week . . .

    Nice rewind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been toying with the idea of rewinding these. Yours look gorgeous, even prettier than the picture in the book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:11 AM

    these are on my rewind list as well, i've heard nothing but good things about them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look fantastic!! I missed the islands this week, but unlike you, didn't make anything else!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually made these several times and loved them every time! They're amazing!!

    I managed to make the wrong recipe this week.... Oooops...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:17 PM

    Those are so gorgeous. I remember these being yummy, but they weren't as pretty as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude, give it up for rewinds!!!

    I love your brownies. I would be so psyched if they appeared at my office...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, your brownies not only turned out beautifully, they look absolutely delicious! Could I have one now please?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:03 AM

    What luscious brownies! They look incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are really pretty. Afraid I would have a hard time leaving the house with those. Yum Yum
    AmyRuth

    ReplyDelete
  14. The tops look just gorgeous - almost like you used a stencil or something. Pop art for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. O. M. G. Those are fantastic. I will HAVE to rewind those one day. Great job - they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Liz, what gorgeous brownies. I think I blew my diet just looking at them!

    Love your rewind - I can't wait to see how gorgeous your Devil's Food Cake is next Tuesday...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous11:45 PM

    Cool shot of all those chocolates. How do you get that pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your brownies look incredible. One of my favorites so far!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look insanely good! I must make these!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous9:36 PM

    I heart Ikea!
    Oh, and the brownies look good too, but Ikea.....
    ps-I bet your boss would have loved you to shlep in some spun shuga'

    ReplyDelete
  21. so this is where you have been blogging. i reread your christmas letter to find it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful job! This is definitely a recipe I want to go back and make.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have a couple of awards for you if you can stop by my blog and pick them up!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I do love texture in my brownies, especially in the form of nuts. It's nice to see someone else out there who agrees. I'm usually the only one!
    These are absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete