Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Where is the love?

Work has me up to my hairnetted ears in apple pies right now. Although that sounds delicious, in actuality it is mostly just tedious. The saddest part is that apple pies, once one of my all-time favorites, have lost their appeal. The sight, the smell...even the thought of a fresh-baked apple pies is enough to trigger my gag reflex. Too many hours spent scooping up filling, too many blisters and aches from crimping crusts. Right now the smell of pies baking is the smell of exhaustion.

All of this is quite unfortunate, because apple pies are one of the staples of fall baking. Crisp, tart apples, heavy with aromatic spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, just a hint of lemon juice, baked in a flaky, golden crust with a crunchy layer of sugar on top...used to be heaven! I only hope I can regain my enthusiasm for pies soon, otherwise it'll be apple tart tatin at Thanksgiving this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment